Most Apple users had been waiting long for the Apple Watch. One of the most eagerly awaited devices of 2015 is undoubtedly the Apple Watch. The Apple Watch’s design centres mainly on improving and extending an app’s functionality on the device with the help of innovative techniques.
When Apple finally launched it a few months back, the question was, whether the device was ready to embrace Apple loyalists? There really weren’t many apps. It’s only now that Apple has introduced the new WatchOS 2 that can help make developing apps for the Apple Watch really easy. However, there are some things that Apple wants their developers to know.
A Look At Designing Some Great Apps for The Apple Watch
If you are designing apps for the Apple Watch exclusively, then these tips will surely help you create engaging ones! Remember to design for performance and offer rapid content to users.
- JPG-graphics need to be optimized – When glancing over a constantly moving 4cm-size screen, an Apple Watch user would prefer quick loading time then high quality photos. Decrease the quality of the JPG and concentrate on getting the image to load quickly.
- Same size of image and its placeholder – The image placeholder should be of the same size as the image or else after the image loads; the user will become disoriented if he starts scrolling as the remaining content will ‘jump’.
- Progressive loading works – When a heavy content such as a map or image is being loaded, allow the user to see the rest of the content instead of blocking the entire screen till the content loads.
- Icons should be recognizable – The Apple Watch’s interface boasts of circular home screen icons and even if original design of your app is square-shaped, try and stick to the Apple’s guidelines and create a circular version for the watch. Also ensure that the icon is recognizable by maintaining the same color palette and key graphic elements.
- Content should be ordered correctly – As the Watch device offers a very short interaction time, it is important for you as a developer to show content which is important first and always order them up correctly.
- Big elements – When we talk about the Apple Watch, bigger the elements the better it is. Every element that can be clicked on should be at least 80 px for the 42mm model and 75 px for the 38mm one.
- Animations must be customized – Being the mainstay of Apple Watch, animation must be customized as per the app to offer an engaging and exciting user experience after identifying the main actions taken by the user when he uses your app.
- Never transfer an app from the smartphone to the Watch – Do not try and imitate the tablet or smartphone app’s performance on the Watch. Focus on building a product which is designed exclusively for the Watch and will perform well on it without worrying how it will fare on the mobile or tablet. This will help you achieve the perfect app for the Watch.
- Seamless user interface – The major purpose of the Watch is to allow users to access basic information via the wearable gadget without having to glance at their mobile phone. Take advantage of this fact as a developer to come up with a seamless and smooth user interface which allows the user to get information easily.
- Own a minimalist approach – An app which makes use of the minimalist approach will surely stand as a winner when it comes to the Apple Watch. Avoid cluttering the screen space by keeping graphics and other contents as minimalist as possible. As there is no margin space given in the device, developers can use the entire screen space for their app.
- The right look matters – A unique color palette is of great importance and having a black background ensures that you have got all the colors right on the wearable device. Developers should follow the leads given by Apple for visual qualities. The major factors to consider here are the way animation is handled, face brightness and screen layouts which help your app achieve the right look.
The Apple Watch is here to stay and if the new WatchOS 2 tells something, it’s that it’s just the start. With Apple, you can be sure that your app will be viewed millions of times and before it gets too crowded like the app stores, why not try your hand at creating one amazing WatchOS app?
Author Bio. :- Priya is a Technical SEO at Hopinfirst, a Restaurant app development company, having a team of best app developers who delivers best restaurant app solutions mainly on Android and iOS platform. She regularly contributes his knowledge on the blogging sites.